Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board
Important Notice regarding Canada Post Mail Disruption
IN THE MATTER OF THE
PUBLIC SERVICE LABOUR RELATIONS ACT AND THE
PARLIAMENTARY EMPLOYMENT AND STAFF RELATIONS ACT
Pursuant to the powers conferred to the Chairperson by section 25 of the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board Act, and those conferred to the Board by section 19 of Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board Act, section 12 of the Public Service Labour Relations Act and section 10 of the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act, I declare that notwithstanding sections 3 and 4 of the Public Service Labour Relations Regulations, in the event and for the duration of a Canada Post mail disruption, the following order from the Chairperson of the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board will apply: the sending of a document to the Board by fax will be deemed to be the sending of the original of that document.
Dated at Ottawa, June 30, 2016.
Welcome to the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board (PSLREB) website.
The PSLREB is an independent quasi-judicial statutory tribunal established by the Public Service Labour Relations and Employment Board Act (PSLREA), which came into force on November 1, 2014. The PSLREB is responsible for administering the collective bargaining and grievance adjudication systems in the federal public service and in Parliament. It is also responsible for the resolution of staffing complaints related to internal appointments and layoffs in the federal public service. It can also receive complaints about appointments that were made to comply with an order in a previous PSLREB decision, as well as revocations of internal appointments. The PSLREB is also responsible for dealing with pay equity complaints filed by, or on behalf of, groups of employees pursuant to the Canadian Human Rights Act.
The PSLREB is the creation of a merger of the Public Service Labour Relations Board (PSLRB) and the Public Service Staffing Tribunal (PSST). The PSLREB deals with matters that were previously dealt with by those former tribunals under the Public Service Labour Relations Act and the Public Service Employment Act, respectively.
We provide two main services:
- adjudication - hearing and deciding grievances, labour relations complaints and other labour relations matters as well as dealing with staffing complaints related to internal appointments, layoffs, the implementation of corrective measures ordered by the Board and revocations of appointments.
- mediation - helping parties reach collective agreements, manage their relations under collective agreements, and resolve disputes and complaints without resorting to a hearing.
Our commitment to resolving labour relations issues and staffing complaints in an impartial manner contributes to a productive and efficient workplace that ultimately benefits Canadians from coast to coast through the smooth delivery of government programs and services.
Through the coming into force of the Administrative Tribunals Support Service of Canada Act, on November 1, 2014, the Government of Canada is consolidating the provision of support services to eleven administrative tribunals into a single, integrated organization, the Administrative Tribunals Support Service of Canada (ATSSC). The role of the ATSSC is to provide these administrative tribunals — including the PSLREB — with the support services and facilities needed to exercise their powers and perform their duties and functions in accordance with their statutory responsibilities. The independence of tribunal decision making on adjudicative and case-related matters will be preserved.
This initiative will increase the capacity of the tribunals to meet their administrative requirements and fulfill their mandates, while providing excellent service and increasing access to justice to Canadians. Neither tribunal operations nor their existing functions will change. Cases will continue to be filed, managed and safeguarded according to existing procedures.
- RECENT DECISIONS
- Meszaros v. Treasury Board (Department of Justice)
- Gariépy v. Association of Canadian Financial Officers
- Bate v. Public Service Alliance of Canada
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOCKYARD CHARGEHANDS ASSOCIATION
- Public Service Alliance of Canada v. Treasury Board (Canada Border Services Agency)
- Close and Stevens v. Treasury Board (Department of Citizenship and Immigration)
- Stevenson v. Treasury Board (Department of Employment and Social Development Canada )
- Féthière v. Deputy Head (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Abeysuriya v. Treasury Board (Department of Public Works and Government Services)
- Public Service Alliance of Canada v. Library of Parliament